Pilates is a body conditioning method which was developed in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates.
Core strength is the foundation of Pilates exercise. The core muscles are the deep, internal muscles of the abdomen and back. When the core muscles are strong and doing their job, as they are trained to do in Pilates, they work in tandem with the more superficial muscles of the trunk to support the spine and movement.
As you develop your core strength you develop stability throughout your entire torso. As the trunk is properly stabilised, pressure on the back is relieved and the body is able to move freely and efficiently. Pilates will help reshape your body, achieving the perfect balance between strength and flexibility. It will bring your body into correct alignment, improve posture and mobility, and create a more balanced body. It is a fabulous way to relieve stress and tension as well as conquering back pain or injury.
Benefits of Pilates:
– Improves posture
– Improves mobility and flexibility of the spine and joints
– Aids balance and co-ordination
– Develops muscle tone and extensibility
– Promotes more efficient and supportive core
– Safe and effective form of exercise for a wide range of medical conditions
– Complements training for golfers, runners, tennis players and other athletes